Oct 17, 2008

First impressions

The Passion of the Weiss has post on his impressions from the 808's and Heartbreak listening session. He's generally positive about it, reflecting on Kanye's new direction and how it will polarise his audience.

I think that if I'm going to listen to the album and not despise it I need to recategorise Kanye in my mind. He now lives in the same sort of zone as the Black Eyed Peas (although he's more extreme), hip hop tinged pop. Otherwise I'd judge it as hip hop and hate it.

1 comment:

Angus said...

That was an interesting review. The performance of Hey Mama at the Grammys was especially emotional, and it doesn't surprise me that he channeled that for this album.

I think this is a point in Kanye's career where he's decided to follow his instincts... wherever they lead him. I expect that in the next few years he'll come back with a more traditional rap album, having satisfied his desire to experiment.

I also believe, quite strongly, that he is on a quest to create the perfect pop song. I wouldn't bet against him doing it.