Jul 13, 2009

Tonight's gonna be a good night

This is not hip-hop - this is pop. But the Black Eyed Peas are doing it so well that I had to post it.I Gotta Feeling

I heard it on the radio and thought it was one of Kanye's G.O.O.D Music crew, like Mr Hudson or maybe Kid Cudi. When I searched for the lyrics at home I refused to believe it was the Peas. Anyway, that is a great pop song, and an even clearer statement that the BEP Empire has long left its hip-hop origins behind.

Question - what other artists have made this jump? From hip-hop to pop? Kanye has definitely been heading that way. Listen to Kanye and Mr Hudson's Supernova here.

4 comments:

Nick said...

They make pretty good pop don't they? I found them annoying until I recategorised them in my mind. Now they're perfect in a certain environment.

Mikey Lynch said...

BEPs are great. A very powerful group. Glad to hear them getting props.

fional said...

I have love for them.
But mebbe I'm not allowed to, mebbe it's just that "I love them" since they're not longer hip hop. Nick?

Nick said...

I think that's exactly why they're not doing hip hop Fi. I think they're a much better pop group than they were a rap group.

And your point of view is always valid. ;)