Sep 5, 2008

Motion Man - Clearing the Field

On the title track Motion Man declares:
"Separate the mic from the man that's my job You're paralyzed because your beat-maker threw a lob pass"
Motion Man delivers on his part of the deal. Clearing the Field is unapologetically about displaying Motion Man's skill with words. The remarkable thing about this is that he pulls it off. There are plenty of MCs with skills but there aren't many who can make an album that's worth listening to from start to stop.

And Kutmaster Kurt for his part makes a great album. He doesn't send Motion Man any hospital passes; the album remains compelling throughout. His combination of hard beats, jazzy horns stabs and funky bass make the perfect backdrop for Motion Man to flow on.
"I'm 'bout it, 'bout it, you know I'm lyrical I don't beg for respect I'm slash-human, slash-whatever, it depends on the weather When I rain you drown, when I'm hot you scorch I drop that think-about style for you kids on the porch Kutmaster Kurt ballin' fly time like Jewel with rings When I'm feeling it I grab the mic like Lauryn and sing." - Straight Flowin' On 'Em
The guest spots are well chosen and executed. They're obviously not there to appeal to a mass market but because Motion Man respects them. They complement him well. Biz Markie on 'Hold Up' and E-40 on 'Reason 2 Panic' work particularly well with him.

One of the refreshing aspects of this album is the positive tone that it maintains. What I mean is that he doesn't use his skills to bitch about how even though he's better than your favourite rapper he's not getting the respect he deserves. Where he does touch on that sort of topic it's in a good natured way, as he puts it on the cartoon sounding 'I'm having a moment'. He just seems to have a great time with the album.

Aside from a bit of the typical misogyny Motion Man has produced a refreshing album. It wouldn't ever get much radio play but then it's not really aiming at that. Motion Man has something to bring and he brings it his own way.

No comments: